While I absolutely love the firm foam ink pads that Stampin’ Up! carries this days, one of the techniques that’s harder to do is the Rock N Roll Technique. When you need more than one color on a bold stamp, it used to be possible to ink the stamp in the lighter color first, then ‘rock’ the stamp around a darker ink pad to pick up the darker tones on the edges, then stamp for a 2-toned image.
Since the firm foam pads are SO good at giving up their ink (which is a huge plus for normal stamping), the rock n roll technique now gives a straight line around the edge of the stamped image, which isn’t really the effect most of us want. To solve that problem, I’ve got a really great Technique Tip – which actually gives even better results than the original technique!
Faux Rock N Roll Technique
- Ink stamp with lighter color ink
- Select darker ink color and pick up ink with Sponge Dauber
- Use Sponge Dauber to dab ink around the edge of the inked stamp
- Stamp on paper
See how simple? I know! And with this technique you can place color EXACTLY where you want it,
If you didn’t quite catch the technique, be sure to watch the video tutorial – which also includes some other stamping tips, like how to create a collage focal point and a few ‘why didn’t I think of that’ ideas for making your projects easier.
Did you see the other little tip at the VERY END of the video? Use a label maker (or just make little stickers from pen and paper) to label your Sponge Daubers. Labels will make it so much easier to know just which dauber to grab when you are ready to craft again next time!
Ready to stamp? Want to get your own kit to create this card (plus 3 other projects), with everything included and organized for you, along with printed directions? Seriously – you can get this from me! Each month I create a Stamps in the Mail Club kit with 4 projects that feature a single stamp set. Kits are exclusive to me – and can only be purchased through me.
It’s simple to request your kit – just visit my Stamps in the Mail Club page for details, and click the link to request your kit via the online form. I’ll send a paypal invoice customized for you, and you can pay online or even by credit card directly or check if you prefer. Then your supplies arrive in the mail and you’ll be stamping in no time! Request a kit today!
Products You’ll Need for Stamping at Home (click images for shopping links):
BUY 3, GET 1 FREE special on Designer Papers!
Shop today to get these gorgeous papers!
- When you order: use the LovenStamps Stamp Club “To Go” Hostess Code (July: QVRRNWUJ). Orders of $40+ qualify for FREE Make N Take kits and extra FREE product!
10 FREE Classic Stampin Pads – Join my family!
New demonstrator special – July 1 – July 31
- Been thinking about all the PERKS of being a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator?
- Thought about ordering with a Demonstrator Discount?
- Wish you had VIP access to new products and ideas?
- LovenStampsfuls family would love to welcome you!
- Starter Kit is $99 and includes $125 in product of your choice – PLUS $67.50 in FREE ink pads! Learn more about why you’d LOVE being a Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator!
Stamps in the Mail Club with Meg
Sign up today for your JULY Kit!
Includes the Tropical Chic stamp set and three ink colors plus supplies for making 4 fabulous projects!
BEST VALUE OPTION: Add the Tropical Thinlits Dies to your kit at a discount – also available with Tropical Escape Suite Bundles!