Picture this: you’re creating a card. It’s not quite right. Do you add another layer? Find some Designer Series Paper? Wait! I’ve got it! You need a faux layer – it’s perfect! So grab your Stamping Sponges (101610) and your 1″ Square Punch (124094) and let me show you how it’s done.
The first thing you’ll want to do is create a mask for your sponging. Sure, you can stick post-it notes on your card front and try to line them up straight (good luck with that), but wouldn’t it be easier to have a reusable mask that will get you a straight line every time?
Make Your Own Faux Layering Mask
- Cut a piece of card stock wider than your project layer, but the same height. In my card, the Whisper White card front is 4″ x 5 1/4″ so my mask is 4″ x about 7″.
- Grab your 1″ Square Punch and slide it up from the bottom of the mask. Punch a hole. Anywhere.
- Now move the Square Punch to the side and punch again to make the hole wider. Repeat across the whole mask to create a wide narrow window.
Really, see how simple? Good news — if you’re a visual learner, you can watch my How-To video tutorial here below! Okay, let’s move on to the faux layering part.
Faux Layering Tips & Tricks
- Cut your Stamping Sponge into 8-10 pieces (like slicing a pie). I find the Craft Scissors (108360) to be perfect for this task. You only need a small piece of sponge to do the trick, and this way you can keep a bunch of sponges handy for different colors.
- Press the sponge piece into your ink pad to pick up ink.
- Line your mask up with your card stock and start sponging by pressing the sponge onto the mask, then dragging it into the window. You don’t want to press the sponge onto the window first — it will leave a big smudge. The shadow effect is created when the sponging is darkest at the edge of the faux layer and lighter towards the center.
See? Still pretty simple if you know the tricks (and I just shared them with you!). Again though, I think you’ll find it helpful to see the process in action. Here’s a video tutorial for one of the projects from my October Stamps in the Mail Club.
Don’t know about Stamps in the Mail Club? No problem! I can help you 🙂 Stamps in the Mail Club is a set of 4 projects, complete with ink, stamps and accessories, that arrives at your doorstep. This month you’ll get 4 fab ideas and projects for the Festival of Trees (135059) stamp set (and the stamp set!). Check out the details here.
Oh – wait. You already have that set? No problem, you can sub anything you want to receive with your Stamps in the Mail Club kit – any time.
So, want to make this card? Yay! You can either use the links below to order supplies from my store, or you can visit my Stamps in the Mail Club page and click the big “click to order” button! You’ll get the October Kit along with the Festival of Trees stamp set and the optional Tree Punch bonus discount.
Shop online 24-7!
- Want a little? Place an order!
- Want a lot? Host a party! (Stampin’ Rewards begin at $150 in orders)
- Want it ALL? Join my LovenStampfuls demonstrator family!
Supplies for 4 projects — ready to stamp, delivered to your front door. Get details or sign up now for the October 2014 Kit