Oldies but goodies…I recently pulled up some video tutorials that I shared 11 years ago (!!) featuring what we then called “Stampin’ Pastels.” Fast forward 11 years to the NEW 2021-2022 Annual Catalog that debuted at the start of June, and they’re back! The new Soft Pastels are exactly what we need to revive these fabulous techniques.
What techniques? Why the Poppin’ Pastels Technique and the Marbled Pastel Background Techniques, of course!
Today’s project featuring the NEW Plentiful Plants stamp set from the Bloom Where You’re Planted Suite will showcase both these technique tutorials: both the Poppin’ Pastels Technique and the Marble Backgrounds. And shout-out to Katie Senkarik from KatieBugCrafts for reminding me about the fab backgrounds!
First up is Poppin’ Pastels — this is the technique I used to color the stamped images from the Plentiful Plants stamp set. See how the images are soft and airy? That’s the Poppin’ Pastels technique – perfect for this set.
Stampin’ Up! Soft Pastels for the Poppin Pastels Technique:
- Stamp in Versamark ink.
- Remove the protective coating from one face of the Soft Pastel stick (I use Paper Snips to scrape it away – I’ll show you how in the video).
- Rub a Sponge Dauber along the edge of the Soft Pastel color stick and pounce onto the stamped image.
- Once full image has had pastel applied, use the Sponge Dauber to gently burnish color onto image, being careful not to smear the ink.
See how simple? The colors are so light and breezy.
But of course there’s another appearance of Soft Pastels on this card, in the fabulous softly colored background layer.
Stampin’ Up! Soft Pastels for the Marble Pastel Background Technique:
- Place a small amount of water in a flat bottom container large enough for your cardstock to lay flat.
- Use Paper Snips to scrape along one edge of a Soft Pastel color stick so that the powder falls onto the surface of the water.
- When the water surface is covered, place a piece of Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper onto the water.
- Pick up paper and tilt to one edge, immediately blotting the excess water with a tissue.
- Allow to dry, then die cut or layer as desired.
Note that the very first time you’ll be scraping away the protective coating, which doesn’t work great for this technique. You want to scrape through that layer so that the soft pastel underneath is what’s going onto the surface of your water.
Plus if you don’t have enough color picked up the first time, the Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper is super high-end and you’ll be able to add more pastel to the water and dip your paper again.
Ready for more details on this project? I’ll show you both Poppin’ Pastels and the Marble Pastel Background Techniques, step-by-step so you’ll want to listen in on the tips included.
Soft Pastels Card Idea for Poppin’ Pastels & the Marble Pastel Background Technique – Video Tutorial:
Add items to your cart with May hostess code QU9ABKVP for LovenStamps Perks Points and tutorials. **Orders over $150 should not use the hostess code since. Those orders qualify for Stampin Rewards selected at the time of the order. Don’t worry, you’ll still qualify LovenStamps Perks Points and tutorials!
Supplies you’ll want for stamping at home:
Use Meg’s 1-Click Add-to-Cart Shopping Link for Stamping Supplies (Hostess code QU9ABKVP) :
Don’t forget that your order can qualify you for LovenStamps Perks Points and LovenStamps Card Kits “To Go” when you use a hostess code! Check out the details on earning Perks Points and Card Kits with your order. May Pansy Petals Tutorials are available through May 31.
Shop the NEW Annual Stampin’ Up! Catalog, new suites and collections!
- Want a little? Place an order!
- When you order: use May Hostess Code (QU9ABKVP). Earn 1 LovenStamps Perks Point for every $25 you order online, plus LovenStamps Card Kits “To Go” with an order of $50 or more!
- Want a lot? Host a party – or be your own hostess with a large online order! (Stampin’ Rewards begin at $150 in orders – don’t use the hostess code for orders over $150, since you’ll pick your own Rewards with your order)
- Want it ALL? Join my LovenStampfuls demonstrator family AND get a bonus $30 in your Starter Kit, for a total of $155 in products of your choice for only $99 (and the shipping is free!) — available May 4 – May 31 only.
Join my Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator Family!
- When you join the LovenStampfuls community as a demonstrator during May 2021, you’ll get a BONUS $30 in product of your choice with the Starter Kit!
- Select $155 in product of your choice (normally $125) and pay $99 – plus shipping is free.
If you have a long Wish List in the current catalogs, the Demonstrator Starter Kit option is absolutely the best offer.
The choice to purchase for yourself at a discount or to share Stampin’ Up! with others is your own. There’s no risk or obligation and no requirement to have parties, classes, or even place another order.
- Learn more about the perks of getting it all!